Amanda, It was our turn again to make dinner. Guess what we made?
Makes 10 portions - courtesy of The Silver Palate Cookbook
- 4 chickens, 21/2 pounds each, quartered.
- 1 head of garlic
- 1/4 c dried oregano
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 c red wine vinegar
- 1/2 c olive oil
- 1 c pitted prunes
- 1/2 c pitted Spanish green olives
- 1/2 c capers with a bit of juice
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 c brown sugar
- 1 c white wine
- 1/4 c Italian parsley
- In a large bowl combine chicken quarters, garlic, oregano, pepper and salt to taste, vinegar, olive oil, prunes, olives, capers and juice, and bay leaves. Cover and let marinate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Arrange chicken on single layer on one or two large shallow baking pans and spoon marinade over it evenly. Sprinkle chicken pieces with brown sugar and pour white wine around them.
- Bake for 50 mins to an hour, basting frequently. Chicken is done when thigh pieces, pricked with a fork, yield clear juices.
- Can be eaten cold / at room temperature.
Even the smell it emits while it's cooking is sensational. The prunes, the olives, the capers. So good.
I thought of you and our lovely dinner at your house. Hope the cold isn't erasing all the good sun you absorbed in Fla. Will be seeing you soon enough!